Tuesday, April 27, 2010

the long awaited update

Here it is the moment you've all been waiting for.... the exciting update of our life together. Well Nik and I actually don't have too much to add. On my end, finals consumed my life for the past couple of weeks, meaning that I spent most of my waking hours trying to cram in what makes an activity ultrahazardous or when intoxication is a defense to a crime. Nik was suffering similar trials but with different, likely more fun, subjects. But, in the midst of all this, Nik and I kept our spirits up and bellies full by making Italian food every Thursday. His family has designated this our night to provide dinner. And I hope that we are fulfilling that responsibility.

Last Thursday, we made what is likely my favorite dinner so far. (Although everything Nik touches is delicious, I am so grateful he went to Italy on his mission) Nik even went all the way to an Italian market in Salt Lake to get "real" food. We made piadine which is pretty much the Italian equivalent of pita bread. It was surprisingly quick and easy... well except for when Nik decided to mix all the ingredients on the counter rather than in a bowl... but that provided some good laughs. My hands were too sticky from trying to keep oil from rushing off onto the floor to take a picture. I am very sad about that. But here is a picture of the finished piadine:
To go on top of the piadine, we had prosciutto, a variety of cheeses, and some other veggies. Nik made tomatoes topped with mozzarella and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette- they looked pretty cool so here's a picture to show off.
The best part about those was the mozzarella, real mozzarella. While Nik's mom detests the "jiggly" cheese, I love it. If you haven't ever had it, I highly recommend it. As you can tell that Thursday was a hit with the whole family.

5 comments:

  1. Thursday night dinners are delicious. But that jiggly cheese? No thanks. His piadini is so good. We will miss these dinners this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thx hannah for taking the time. Ill hope to see you around graduation time. My sister the cook, I thought that genetically you would be unable to differentiate between a spoon and a fork but I was obviously wrong. It looks great and its reassuring to see you so happy. Love Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. So does this mean that you will be cooking for us on Thursday when you are down here? I hope so because that looks really yummy! Can't wait to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. COMMUNIST PARTY IS THE BEST T-SHIRT EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can totally cook for you two when we come down. I don't know about the Thursday, but sometime I'll make him whip up something marvelous. Can't wait to see you guys either, I miss my Avery!!

    And Mac, you are correct. I bought it for Nik for his birthday, its pretty much amazing.

    ReplyDelete